Caltrain and SamTrans are committed to the participation of Small and Small Disadvantaged Business Enterprises in contracting opportunities. To contact us about SBE or DBE questions, please call (650) 508-7939 or email to email@example.com.
DBE Program Summary
The main objectives of the DBE Program, operated under Title 49 CFR Part 26, are:
- To ensure that small disadvantaged business enterprises (DBE) can compete fairly for federally funded contracts.
- To ensure that only eligible firms participate as DBEs.
- To assist DBE firms in competing outside the DBE Program.
The complete DBE Programs for Caltrain and SamTrans and triennial overall goals analysis are available for review by contacting the Office of Civil Rights (OCR).
To participate as a DBE in DOT-assisted contracts, DBE firms, including those owned by minorities and women, must apply for and receive certification as a DBE. For the state of California, DBE certification is performed by the certifying agencies of the California Unified Certification Program (CUCP). SamTrans is a certifying agency under the CUCP; SamTrans receives DBE applications for firms located in San Mateo County. Download an application for DBE certification here.
For additional information about the DBE Program, please visit the U.S. Department of Transportation, Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization.
To search for DBEs, visit the DBE Query Form.
For information about DBE certification, please visit Caltrans’ website.
The Federal regulation for the DBE Program, Title 49 CFR Part 26, can be downloaded here.
Small Business Enterprise (SBE) Policies
Caltrain and SamTrans are committed to assisting small businesses’ participation in Caltrain and SamTrans contracts.
CUPCAA set-asides: SamTrans sets aside small construction contracts under $10,000 for small businesses where SBEs are available to complete given projects.
SBE Preference: Caltrain and SamTrans have the option to apply, where appropriate, a small business preference to contract solicitations.
SBE Certification and Search for SBEs: Caltrain and SamTrans will recognize the SBE certifications listed below. Other certifications will not be accepted. Prime bidders may utilize the links below to search for DBEs.
- Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) pursuant to U.S. Department of Transportation regulations, 49 CFR Part 26. This includes DBE certifications performed by the California Unified Certification Program, or any other state Unified Certification Program. Download an application for DBE certification here.
- SBA 8(a) by the Small Business Administration provided that a firm’s average annual gross receipts do not exceed the cap of $23.98 million.
- Small Business (SB) certification performed by the California Department of General Services (DGS) for the following industries only: (a) Construction (NAICS 230000); (b) Manufacturing (NAICS 310000-330000); (c) Wholesaling (NAICS 420000); and (d) Trucking (NAICS 484000).
- All Microbusiness (MB) certifications by the California Department of General Services for ALL industries.
- Small Business Enterprise (SBE) certification by the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority.
For specific contracts only, with SBE preferences, complete the SBE verification form to request verification of a proposer/bidder’s, or sub-bidder’s, SBE status.
1250 San Carlos Ave., San Carlos, California 94070-1306 Customer Service 1-800-660-4287 | Administrative Office 650-508-6200