How to Ride
Step 1: Plan (see video)
- Find a timetable; printed or online (Mobile Device? View the list of apps: caltrain.com/mobile)
- Which direction are you going? Northbound or Southbound?
- Determine the Stations where you will be departing and arriving.
- On the timetable, locate the times that correspond to the stations, and note the train number listed at the top of the column.
- Fares are based on the number of zones traveled. Refer to the Timetable or System Map to determine the number of zones for your trip.
Step 2: Go to a Station (see video)
- RECOMMENDATION: Arrive at the station 15 minutes before the departure time.
- Make sure you are on the correct platform.
- Person needing assistance? Look for the Universal Disabled Symbol and Blue Box.
- Always stay behind the yellow safety line.
- Bike riding on the platforms is prohibited.
- Smoking is not allowed on the platforms or on the trains.
Step 3: Pay (see video)
- Review the different types of tickets available.
- Purchase a valid ticket BEFORE you board at the Station Ticket Vending Machine or by using a Clipper Card.
- Conductors check for Proof of Payment.
- No valid ticket? You are subject to a citation.
Step 4: Board and Ride (see video)
- Look for the train numbers next to the locomotive or front cab car.
- No bike? Please select an alternate car.
- All strollers must be folded before boarding and stored on the racks in the Luggage Car.
- Pay attention to the stops.
- Radios and music players are allowed with earphones only.
- Roller blades and rollerskates may not be worn onboard trains or on station property.
- Keep cell phone use to a minimum and speak quietly when in use.
- On crowded trains, don't block seats with personal belongings.
- Personal items may be placed under the seat or in the overhead rack.
- Store luggage in the designated areas.
- Open alcoholic containers aren't permitted on trains beginning at 9 p.m. on special event nights.
- Keep vestibule, aisles and stairs clear.
- Don't put feet on the seats.
- In case of onboard emergency, the conductor will provide necessary instructions.
- Be courteous to your fellow riders.
Step 5: Arrive (see video)
- Gather your belongings.
- If you forget something, report it to caltrain.com/lost
- Remove all empty cups and other trash from the train.
- Discard all trash using the receptacles provided on or near the platforms.
- Clipper Card users (8-ride and e-cash) need to tag off.
3/21/13 - rjc