Temporary Hillsdale Station ClosureSign Up for Project Updates
Ongoing construction on the 25th Avenue Grade Separation Project is getting Caltrain closer to a new Hillsdale station that will be located at E. 28th Avenue. When complete, the new station will feature a center-boarding platform offering passengers convenient access to both southbound and northbound trains; additional and improved shelters, and more amenities.
Hillsdale Station will be temporarily closed in spring 2020 for up to six months to allow for the transition from ground-level tracks to elevated tracks, the creation of an east-west connection at 28th Avenue, and the building of the new Hillsdale Station. This construction will not interrupt overall passenger service for Caltrain’s 63,000 daily commuters.
During the temporary closure, the same trains that served Hillsdale Station will serve Belmont Station (1.7 miles south), including Express and Limited service.
Transit Options for Hillsdale Station Customers During Closure
- SamTrans: At no additional fare, Caltrain customers may ride Samtrans bus Route ECR that runs between Hillsdale and Belmont stations. The bus arrives and departs every 15 minutes on El Camino Real on weekdays.
- Shuttle Service: Belmont/Hillsdale shuttle service will be available during commute hours. (More details available in winter 2019)
- Alternative Routes: Caltrain will provide station access and alternative route maps to navigate between stations (Available winter 2019)
- Timetable Adjustment: The updated Caltrain timetable for the temporary closure will be released in winter 2019.
A virtual town hall took place on July 31, 2019. Another virtual town hall and in-person community meeting will be held a month and a half prior to the temporary closure. Caltrain will continue to communicate with residents, businesses and other interested members of the public.
- Archived Virtual Town Hall Presentation & Live Chat
- Invite to Virtual Town Hall
- Hillsdale Station Closure FAQs (coming winter 2019)
Renderings of New Station
About the 25th Avenue Grade Separation Project
Caltrain is working closely with the City of San Mateo to deliver this important safety project. When complete, the tracks will be separate from the road at 25th Avenue reducing horn noise and improving traffic flow; there will be two new east-west connections at 28th and 31st Avenues; and a new Hillsdale Station with updated amenities will better serve the community. For more information or to sign up for project updates visit www.caltrain.com/25thGS.
Still have questions?
Please call Caltrain Customer Service at 1-800-660-4287 or email SMGradeSep@caltrain.com.
Follow us on Social Media to Stay Informed
You can now receive Caltrain news via e-mail!
Caltrain Twitter is human-operated M-F, 7am to 7pm, excluding holidays.