The Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board, which oversees Caltrain operations, will hold several public meetings to receive the community’s input on proposed service changes that are expected to take place in spring/summer 2017.
The public meetings will take place at various locations along the Peninsula beginning this month and extending through January.
Next March, the JPB will hold a public hearing to receive additional public comment on proposed service changes to accommodate the Peninsula Corridor Electrification Project (PCEP), and to improve and streamline Caltrain service during PCEP construction.
Proposals to be considered include:
- Addition of six stops – Sunnyvale, California Avenue, San Carlos, San Mateo, Burlingame, San Bruno – to train 305 to attract more ridership to this northbound AM “shoulder peak” train
- Separation of southbound AM peak Baby Bullet trains 312 & 314 and 322 & 324, which currently operate back-to-back, for improved efficiency and time spacing for passengers
- Adjustment of some reverse-peak service trains at the Tamien Caltrain Station that has very low ridership to allow increased fueling and service windows of rolling stock at the Centralized Equipment Maintenance & Operations Facility in San Jose
- Departure time adjustments during off-peak periods to enable all train meets to occur at control points that will allow flexibility to the operation to accommodate PCEP work windows
- Changing Local service headways from 60 to 90 minutes with Baby Bullet service to support PCEP work windows, thereby, reducing the number of trains running on Saturdays from 36 to 28 and on Sundays from 32 to 24.
The proposed timetable changes will help facilitate the PCEP without requiring more drastic options such as termination of all weekend Caltrain service.
The proposed schedules are now available for viewing at www.caltrain.com/proposedchanges or by calling 1.800.660.4287 (TDD only 650.508.6448).
The public hearing will be held during the JPB’s monthly board meeting on at 10 a.m. on Thursday, March 2, 2017, at the Caltrain Administrative Office, 1250 San Carlos Ave., San Carlos.
Prior to the hearing, comments may be sent by mail, e-mail or phone to Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board, JPB Secretary, P.O. Box 3006, San Carlos, CA 94070-1306; Changes@caltrain.com; 1.800.660.4287; or online by clicking HERE.
The FTA required Title VI Equity Analysis findings for the proposed 2017 service changes will be presented at the public meetings.
Caltrain will hold public meetings to present the proposals and receive comments. The meetings will take place at the following locations and times:
- San Carlos – Wednesday, Dec. 21, from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. (before Caltrain Citizens Advisory Committee meeting), Caltrain Administrative Office, 1250 San Carlos Ave.
- San Francisco Caltrain Station – Saturday, Jan. 7, from 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.; and again on Wednesday, Jan. 11, from 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., 4th & King St., under the station clock
- Redwood City Caltrain Station – Saturday, Jan. 7, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; and again on Monday, Jan. 9, 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., 1 James Ave.
- Tamien Caltrain Station – Saturday, Jan. 7, from 10 a.m. to noon, 1355 Lick Ave, San Jose
- San Mateo Caltrain Station – Sunday, Jan. 8, from 11 a.m. to 1 pm; and again on Thursday, Jan. 12, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., 385 First Ave.
- Millbrae Caltrain Station – Sunday, Jan. 8, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.; and again on Thursday, Jan. 12, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., 100 California Dr.
- Palo Alto Caltrain Station – Monday, Jan. 9, from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m.; and again on Sunday, Jan. 15, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., 95 University Ave.
- Morgan Hill Caltrain Station – Tuesday, Jan. 10, from 6 a.m. to 7:30 a.m., 17300 Depot St.
- San Jose Diridon Caltrain Station – Wednesday, Jan. 11, from 5:30 a.m. to 8 a.m.; and again on Sunday, Jan.15, from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., 65 Cahill St.
Additional meetings will be held over the next several weeks. Please visit www.caltrain.com/proposedchanges for the latest schedule.
For free translation assistance, call Caltrain at 1.800.660.4287 three days before the meeting.
Para servicio de traducción en Español, llame a Caltrain al 1.800.660.4287 por lo menos tres días laborales antes de las reuniones.
如果需要翻译，请在会议召开前三天内致电 Caltrain 客户服务部，电话 1.800.660.4287。
About Caltrain: Owned and operated by the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board, Caltrain provides commuter rail service from San Francisco to San Jose, with limited commute service to Gilroy. Caltrain enjoyed five years of consecutive monthly ridership increases, surpassing more than 60,000 average weekday riders earlier this year. While the Joint Powers Board assumed operating responsibilities for the service in 1992, the railroad celebrated 150 years of continuous passenger service in 2014. Planning for the next 150 years of Peninsula rail service, Caltrain is on pace to electrify the system, reduce diesel emissions by 97 percent by 2040 and add more service to more stations.