San Mateo Parking TrackSign Up for Project Updates
The project will create a "parking track" to replace one that was removed to facilitate the construction of the 25th Avenue Grade Separation Project. A "parking track" is a temporary storage space for train maintenance equipment. It typically includes a track approximately 1000’ in length and an access road. Parking tracks allow for efficient use of limited work windows to keep the railroad functioning properly.
The previous San Mateo Parking Track was in existence prior to Caltrain becoming the operator of passenger service. Located in the Bay Meadows area, it was used by Caltrain for 25 years until the grade separation project necessitated its removal. When the replacement parking track is complete, it would likely be accessed approximately once a month as needed.
There are over a dozen parking tracks distributed in residential and commercial areas along the corridor. There is only one maintenance yard, which is a large 20 acre multi-acre complex operation and facility that is located in San Jose (see photos of existing parking tracks and the maintenance yard).
In spring/early summer 2019, soil was distributed at a potential parking track location. A community meeting was held on June 11, 2019 and feedback received. Thereafter, Caltrain worked closely with the City of San Mateo to evaluate options at the current proposed parking track location as well as other locations. The team reviewed 28 different options, including the options suggested by members of the community (see fall 2019 feasibility assessment). Another community meeting was held on October 8, 2019, where these options were discussed and additional feedback was collected.
Three focus group meetings (8-10 community members) were held in November/December 2019, and an additional option was examined (see January 2020 feasibility assessment). A community meeting was held on January 13, 2020 where an update on efforts since the last community meeting was given, and the City presented their staff recommendation. On January 21, 2020 a City Council Study Session was held where the staff recommendation was presented.
A construction contract for the project has not been issued and no installation work will occur until 2021. Prior to the start of any installation work, Caltrain will communicate with residents, businesses and other interested members of the public to discuss the project in more detail.
During the installation of the parking track, due to the nature of construction there may be temporary, localized noise impacts. When the replacement parking track is complete, it would likely be accessed approximately once a month as needed.
City Council Study Session
February 18, 2020
San Mateo City Hall
330 W. 20th Ave., San Mateo, CA 94403
Prior to the start of any installation work, Caltrain will communicate with residents, businesses and other interested members of the public. Caltrain also offers a weekly construction notice for those interested in the latest construction activities. To sign-up please visit www.Caltrain.com/ConstructionNotice. For questions please call the Caltrain Customer Service at 1-800-660-4287 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Presentation (City Council Study Session, February 18, 2020)
- Presentation (City Council Study Session, January 21, 2020)
- Presentation (Community Meeting, January 13, 2020)
- Presentation (Community Meeting, October 8, 2019)
- Presentation (Community Meeting, June 11, 2019)
- Technical Assessment of Resident Suggestions from January 21, 2020
- Feasibility Assessment (January 2020) of 29 different options for parking track locations/modifications
- Feasibility Assessment (Fall 2019) of 28 different options for parking track locations/modifications
- Parking Track versus Maintenance Facility (Existing Parking Track Locations)
- Video Timelapse of Parking Track
- Video of CEMOF Maintenance Facility (created by public)
- Environmental Documents
- Parking Track Design Standards
- Project Documents (MOUs/agreements)
- Sign Up for Project Updates
- Update to Distribution List (February 13, 2020)
- Update to Distribution List (February 4, 2020)
- Update to Distribution List (January 8, 2019)
- Update to Distribution List (December 20, 2019)
- Update to Distribution List (November 15, 2019)
- Update to Distribution List (October 11, 2019)
- Update to Distribution List (July 2, 2019)
- Update to Distribution List (June 17, 2019)
- Notice: Community Meeting (December 20, 2020)
- Notice: Drainage Ditch Installation to Prevent Runoff (November 4, 2019)
- Notice: October 21, 2019 City Council Study Session to be Rescheduled (October 18, 2019)
- Notice (September 25, 2019)
- Notice (May 23, 2019)
- Notice (May 3, 2019)
- Press Release (October 4, 2019)
You can now receive Caltrain news via e-mail!
Caltrain Twitter is human-operated M-F, 7am to 7pm, excluding holidays.