Caltrain Fare Changes
The Caltrain Board of Directors is considering changes to its fare structure in order to keep the system adequately funded and in a state of good repair.
Unlike most transit systems, Caltrain does not currently receive dedicated funding to support its operations. The cost of operating and maintaining the service has increased due to the challenge of accommodating changing ridership demand and maintaining an aging diesel system in a state of good repair. The Board invites public comment on the following potential changes at its August 1 meeting. A final proposal will be presented for Board action on September 5, 2019.
- Price of the GoPass will increase by up to 20%, effective January 1, 2020.
- 5% increase every two years on January 1, starting in 2022.
- Clipper discounts for one-way fares and monthly passes will be removed after January of 2020.
- One-Way/Day Pass/Monthly Pass
- Incremental fare increases every two years
- $.50 increase to the base fare scheduled for July of 2020
- $.25 increase to the zone fare scheduled for July of 2022
- $.50 increase to the base fare scheduled for July of 2024
- Means-Based Fare Pilot Program
- Caltrain will officially participate in MTC’s Means-Based Discount Fare pilot program, which is currently scheduled to begin in Fall 2019
- This program will offer eligible participants a 20% discount off of the single-ride adult Clipper Card Caltrain fares
- Administrative Changes
- Charter trains, parking and bicycle locker fees will be removed from the Codified Tariff. These fees will be placed in a separate document and any changes to the fees or the rules will be brought to the Board in a later process.
Caltrain will be holding a series of public meetings to discuss these changes. Members of the public are invited to join us at the following meetings:
Public Meeting Schedule
|Public Meeting||Location||Date & Time|
|Caltrain Citizens Advisory Committee||1250 San Carlos Avenue, San Carlos, CA 94070||July 17
|Mission Creek Senior Community Center||930 4th St, San Francisco, CA 94158||July 18
|Gardner Community Center||520 W. Virginia St., San Jose, CA||July 22
|Virtual Meeting||Watch Now
|Caltrain Citizens Accessibility Advisory Committee||1250 San Carlos Avenue, San Carlos, CA 94070||July 24
|Redwood City Downtown Library||1044 Middlefield Rd, Redwood City, CA 94063||July 30
Public Hearing by the Caltrain Board of Directors
|Public Hearing||Location||Date & Time|
|San Mateo County Transit District
|1250 San Carlos Avenue, San Carlos, CA||Aug. 1
More information on the changes can be found in the June 2019 Board Meeting Agenda Packet (PDF, 20.8MB, June 2019)
You can now receive Caltrain news via e-mail!
Caltrain Twitter is human-operated M-F, 7am to 7pm, excluding holidays.