Ticket Vending Machine
It’s fast and easy to purchase Caltrain tickets with ticket vending machines.
Download the "HOW TO" flier HERE (PDF 95KB).
- Select Ticket Type
Caltrain tickets available include Day Pass, One-way and Zone Upgrade for adults and Daily or Monthly Parking permits. To purchase a youth, senior, disabled or Medicare cardholder ticket, press the Eligible Discount button.
[See Parking Section below for instructions on how to buy a parking permit.]
- Select Destination
After choosing your ticket type, select your destination zone. You also may change your starting zone. A zone map is located directly above the visual screen.
- Select Number of Tickets
To purchase one or more tickets, select the ticket type, then push the appropriate buttons to make your selections. The amount of your purchase will appear on the screen.
- Purchase Tickets
At this time, you have the option to purchase different types of tickets by pushing the Additional Transactions button located on the bottom left of the screen. Up to four different ticket types can be purchased in a single transaction. The amount of your purchase is totaled after each selection. When you are ready to complete your transaction, push the Press to Purchase button.
- Insert Cash or Credit Card
- CASH: Insert cash (including coins) in the slots indicated. The machine accepts all bills up to $100 (with the exception of the $2 bill) and all coins, except pennies and 50-cent pieces. All change, including dollars, is given in coins. The machine can give up to $19.50 in change.
- CREDIT or DEBIT CARD: Insert card in the slot and follow the instructions on the menu screen. TVMs will NOT accept PIN-authorized debit cards. The machine will issue a receipt for credit card transactions. Your tickets, change and receipt will fall into the Ticket/Change slot at the bottom of the machine. Note: Ticket vending machines don't accept Transit Benefit cards due to a change in the Internal Revenue Service law. The Transit Benefit cards may be used at Caltrain headquarters.
- Cancel your transaction at any time by pushing the red cancel button under the menu screen.
- The TVMs feature an audio system and are marked in braille. Raised dots lead to the slots to insert cash and credit/debit cards or retrieve tickets, change and receipt. TVMs are easily accessible and are available at all stations from San Francisco to Gilroy, except for the Stanford station where service is football game day only.
Customers with a valid Monthly Pass or 8-ride Ticket loaded on their Clipper® card can purchase one monthly parking permit per month at Caltrain station ticket vending machines by entering their unique 10-digit Clipper card number, located on the lower-left back of the card. Monthly Parking permits may be purchased between the 21st of the month prior to the month that the permit is valid until the 15th of the month that the permit is valid. Customers with Go passes must apply for an access code.
A Daily Parking Permit may be purchased by itself by making the appropriate selection on the TVM select ticket menu screen.
After parking, take note of your parking stall number and then follow these procedures:
- Go to the Ticket Vending Machine.
- Select Daily Parking. When prompted, type in your parking stall number. Insert cash or credit card.
- Take your receipt from the bottom tray of the TVM.
6/20/12 - maw